Sunday, May 3, 2009

Interviewee: 1-04
Page #: 8
Quote:

FOB means fresh off the boat. It’s about like people who grew up in Asia who went to school there…and then they come here, either for high school or college. [...] So my parents were FOBs. I mean…they’ve been here for so long, though, now they’re just…my parents. [...] But like, FOB probably has a negative connotation here.
AM: Here…as in Williamsburg? Or The US?
1-04: I mean, I can’t speak for the entire country because I really only know WM and MA, but I think when people say FOB, people think ‘nerdy,’ or not really any connection to the American culture and stuff. And I mean, when I went to Singapore ABC was a bad term, so. I guess it’s kinda like the same…I mean, we’re definitely cooler than them, haha. But they’re like, “Oh, they’re out of touch with their Chinese culture and language and stuff.” I mean, we’re American, so. I mean, ABCs are Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.