Sunday, May 3, 2009

Interviewee: 1-05
Page #: 4
Quote:

AM: how do [people in China] react when they see you?
1-05: Some of them…I’m a foreigner, some of them I’m a local. I mean, cabbies would be like, confused at what I was. Like, they’d be like who are you, and I’d have to tell them my life story, like I’m Chinese but I grew up in America…I mean, half of them would be on my side and they’d say that I’m American, but some of them would be like you’re Chinese. The only reason they’d ask what I was, though, because my accent is weird. They wouldn’t understand what I was saying, or something. Because I don’t really read characters. I mean, I was learning Chinese characters when I was studying abroad, but I hadn’t started learning before. Sometimes cabbies would ask me because they’d think that I looked different, because I’m half Han-half Man. Sometimes they’d ask me if I was Korean. Then, when I told them that my mom was from Xinzhang, they’d be confused because that area is mostly Muslim. So they would be so confused. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.