Sunday, May 3, 2009

Interviewee: 1-02
Page #: 2
Quote:

AM: [The place you grew up was] not really diverse at all, huh?
1-02: yeah, not really. Yeah, so there were people that made fun of me. At the time we had a restaurant, which I guess is a…stereotype. But like, it was also kindergarteners, so like whatever they were saying came from their parents views? About diversity and stuff? So it was basically like more black kids that made fun of me? I guess like, the hierarchy of races and stuff. I mean, not to be like…racist. I guess like, Asians are more…white than black? So like… Coming from the black people…I just didn’t fit in I guess. I remember in first grade, I wanted to be like “American” and I felt like my name “___” wasn’t white enough? And I remember that my uncle was dating this girl named Holly, at that time, and she was like, the pretty American. I don’t actually remember how she was like now, but at that time, I felt like that’s who I wanted to be? So I changed my name at school to Holly. Haha. I put it on all of my textbooks and notebooks! And my mom was like “HAVE YOU BEEN STEALING PEOPLE’S NOTEBOOKS!?!” and she went and talked to my teacher, and I guess my teacher explained to her that I’m adjusting…funny times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.