Interviewee: 1-03
Page #: 5
Quote:
AM: Were you ever aware of diversity when you were going to schools and such?
1-03: Um…I mean, I grew up in a pretty diverse area and so it wasn’t like…I don’t know if I actually noticed it, actually. Because like, our family is diverse and my best friend, when I was really young, she was black…I mean there were a bunch of white kids in the neighborhood, and you know, and…actually, the first time I actually…not that I noticed diversity but when it hit me, was College. Because WM is a lot less diverse than my high school was, and so it was just like, oh wow, the area that we’re from is so diverse and we have a lot of cultures and customs and everything. But like, my roommate, she comes from an area where William and Mary is considered diverse for her. And so it was interesting to compare. I think it’s interesting too, like, how WM is so big on diversity, but they really don’t do a good job integrating every together? You know? Like look at all the diversity housing in like, the corner of campus like in Randolph? It’s so far. And they can like mingle with each other but they don’t really see anyone else. And foreign exchange students. Yeah. Like one time for Relay for Life we were trying to get them involved and someone was like, you should go talk to the Diversity Council, and I was like, who is the diversity council? I have been here for 4 years, I haven’t lived in a box, and I have never heard of this! And I’m like, a Chinese minor, so I definitely should have been exposed to this sort of organization, I would think.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.