Monday, May 4, 2009

Interviewee: 2-04
Page #: 12
Quote:

DL: What kind of memories do you have of celebrations and holidays from your childhood?
2-04: Well, obviously, biggest one is New Years, where would do the Se bae, which is like the whole bowing and the adults giving you blessing – but more importantly giving you money. I dunno, do you celebrate Chinese New Year? I guess we just do the same thing – you know, the adults are sitting in the front, and you and your siblings or whoever’s closest to you in age get down and you do a bow, and you say something in Korean – you say saehae bok manhi badeuseyo – which means like, “have a good new years” or something like that. You stand up, they say something like, oh “may this year be good for you, be healthy, get good grades, blah blah blah blah blah,” and they hand you the money, which is what we all really look forward to and which is why I love New Year’s because I always need money. But uh… yeah, that was probably the most Korean holiday I ever really celebrated. I’m trying to think… Christmas, again, since like, you know, Christianity… big Christian family, we just go to church and bro out. Um… sometimes on New Year’s, too – we always went to church on New Year’s, which really bummed me out, because I always wanted to do the whole countdown thing, but I was in church in service.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.